This is hands down the BEST guacamole recipe! Quick and easy to make. Naturally gluten free and vegan.
I found this recipe on gimmesomeoven.com last week and it’s to die for. However, if you are in a pinch and do not have all of the ingredients there is only ONE that you really need….. CUMIN. It truly is the most important ingredient. Add cumin to a few avocados with some salt and pepper and you’ve got a great guacamole.
But it is definitely worth doing a quick store run to get the red onion, cilantro and lime juice. Just sayin’.
Mashing tip: This masher from Pampered Chef is so perfect for mashing avocado!
HOW TO PICK THE PERFECT AVOCADO
I watch the Food Network ALL of the time and recently learned I’ve been picking avocados the wrong way. And to make the best guacamole you must use perfectly ripe avocados.
My method has always been to squeeze the largest part of the avocado and if it slightly smooshy then it seemed to be ripe to me. But I always got some bad ones in the bunch. I can’t remember who but someone that is awesome on the Food Network shared their secret.
Note: I admit that I may be the only person out there doing it wrong (and that it’s not that big of a secret) but just in case there is another person out there doing it my old way this is for you…..
The only part of the avocado you need to test is the smallest end. Press on the end (not the sides of the small part but the end of it). If it has a good amount of smooshiness to it you know the rest of the avocado is perfect.
Thank you random foodie on the Food Network!!
Other recipes you may be interested in:
- Easy and Delicious Homemade Salsa
- Mexican Ground Beef with veggies
- Healthy Shrimp Enchilada Casserole
- Stuffed Jalapeno Nachos
THE BEST GUACAMOLE
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 jalapeno, cored and finely diced (add more or less to taste)
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Optional: 1 roma tomato, cored and chopped
- Mash together avocados, jalapeno, onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt, cumin with a fork until well-mixed.
- If adding tomatoes, stir them in at the very end.
- Serve immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap (so that the plastic is literally touching the entire top layer of the guacamole) and refrigerate for up to 2 days before serving.