Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for several reasons. I have a lot to be thankful for and it’s the start of the holiday season. Plus it means decorating for Christmas and tons and tons of eating. Which, of course, is my real reason for loving this holiday so much. And I have my favorite Thanksgiving recipes that I want to share with you.
The good news is that even a novice cook can make them (including some “cheats” that are time saving and truly delicious!).
My Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes – STUFFING
You might be surprised that I’m not starting with the turkey. I enjoy turkey a lot but in my opinion the stuffing (or dressing if you are from the South like me) is the real star.
Pepperidge Farm Stuffing – Sage Sausage and Apple Dressing
This sausage and apple stuffing recipe from Platter Talk is amazing with several short cuts (including using Pepperidge Farm Stuffing) without sacrificing flavor. A spruced-up version of your grandma’s favorite dressing!
If you would like a stuffing that’s truly “made from scratch” try Ina Garten’s Sausage and Herb Stuffing. It’s a little more time consuming but it is worth the extra effort!
My Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes – TURKEY
I prefer cooking a large turkey breast rather than a whole turkey. It’s easier and the breast is what most people end up eating anyway. This year I am going to try cooking the turkey in the crockpot.
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
This slow cooker turkey breast from Sugar and Soul is easy to make and the brine and herb butter sound amazing! This is the one I’m attempting this Thanksgiving and I will update this post on how it turns out. The reviews are very promising!
Instant Pot Turkey Breast
If you are obsessed with your Instant Pot this turkey breast recipe from Easy Budget Recipes may be your favorite! It’s delicious and easy to make. The only reason I am not making this version for 2020 is because I wanted to try something new. But I can highly recommend this easy turkey breast!
Easy, No Fuss (Whole) Thanksgiving Turkey
If you prefer to make a whole turkey I have to recommend (over 770 5-star reviews!) Tastes Better From Scratch’s Easy, No Fuss Thanksgiving Turkey! She includes very detailed instructions on how to thaw and prep the turkey as well.
My Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes – SIDES
The following is our menu of sides for 2020 (I have made them all many times and can honestly say you can’t go wrong with any of them):
- Bourbon Orange Cranberry Sauce (another great recipe from Sugar and Soul)
- Spruced up canned Jellied Cranberry Sauce (from BHG) – A quick option if you do not have time to make cranberry sauce from scratch!
- Mashed Potatoes (from Sugar and Soul)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cinnamon Butternut Squash with Pecans and Cranberries (from Julia’s Album – this is AMAZING!)
- Southern Deviled Eggs (from My Forking Life)
- Instant Pot (No Knead) Dinner Rolls (from Imagelicious)
My Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes – DESSERTS
This year I am not going crazy with pies. I decided to make a traditional pumpkin pie and a twist on Southern Banana Pudding from Paula Deen.
My Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes – APPETIZERS
- Classic Knorr Spinach Dip (great served with crackers, bread and raw vegetables)
- Southern Sausage Balls (good to add for a more filling brunch if you are eating late)
- I love Andrea Dekker’s Kid-Friendly Charcuterie Board
- Sweet and Spicy Cream Cheese Dip (from Two Healthy Kitchens)
I hope this helps you make a few decisions with your Thanksgiving menu. And that you have a wonderful holiday!