Most everyone has a New Year’s resolution involving eating healthier. So I am dedicating January and February to healthy recipes! And why not start with DELICIOUS healthy apple muffins?? Who doesn’t love a good muffin?! And these have ZERO butter and only 1/3 cup oil for the whole batch!
(Thanks to Super Healthy Kids for this recipe by the way!)
Side Note: I was so busy over Christmas and New Year’s that I didn’t have much time to write since my last post however I did do a lot of cooking! I have quite a few recipes I’d like to share with you but those will come later. They don’t necessarily fit my “healthy” cooking theme for the beginning of the year. 🙂 But they are all clean eating with whole foods so stay tuned for those in March.
These healthy apple muffins were so yummy warm, straight out of the oven. Makes a great snack or breakfast with a handful of blueberries and a cup of coffee. They also store beautifully in the freezer too! I pulled a few out this morning to thaw and heated one in the microwave….. this time I added a bit of butter to each half and I was in heaven!
Healthy Apple Muffins
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil can sub olive oil or any vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup grated apple
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease the wells.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, apple sauce and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and slowly fold together. Before it's all combined, add grated apples and nuts. Stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins all the way to the top. Bake at 425 for 5 minutes and then decrease the temperature to 350 and bake for 12-18 minutes. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve.