We love baked salmon in our house. It tastes wonderful (my favorite sushi too!) and has amazing health benefits.
Over the years I’ve found some delicious recipes. They were great but I have tried to find a way to bake salmon simply. Just salt, pepper and olive oil and know it will turn out perfect every time.
I FINALLY FOUND IT. Thank you Pioneer Woman.
Most recipes just suggest baking at 350-375 for a certain amount of time (which of course always take longer) until “done”. I always over cook it this way.
I don’t trust cooking it this way. Many times I’ve pulled it out thinking it’s done and the center is extremely under cooked. And the times I get it right our salmon is demolished because I end up checking the center 3-4 times with a fork.
Perfectly Baked Salmon
The Pioneer Woman brilliantly suggests putting the salmon into a COLD oven and then heating your oven to 400 (25 minute cook time from when you turn your oven on).
I am mildly frustrated that I didn’t come up with that on my own. It’s the same thing I do with hard boiling eggs. I put them in cold water first then heat it up to boiling (then let them sit in the water for 10-12 minutes). Perfect eggs every time.
It makes sense this would work with salmon too.
I even added Brussels sprouts and asparagus (tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper) to the oven and they came out great!
I’ve tested this several times now with 100% success. Perfect salmon every time.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Other recipes you may like…..
- Brussels Sprouts with Glazed Red Onions
- Asian Glazed Chicken Thighs with Broccoli Quinoa Stir Fry
- Dijon Maple Chicken Breasts
- Salmon filets
- olive oil
- Put your salmon on a foil lined baking sheet or glass Pyrex dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper.
- Put the salmon in a COLD OVEN. Turn oven to 400 degrees and set the timer for 25 minutes. If you have a larger piece of salmon this could take 30 minutes.