Sausage Breakfast Casserole
I have been quiet on the blog lately because we recently bought a new house and have been busy moving in and getting settled. We LOVE this house. It’s a small ranch with a huge yard. Perfect for us. The house was built in the 80s and I swear the owners did nothing to update it…. except for the kitchen. It has a very cute farmhouse kitchen and I hope to share pictures soon.
Everything else in the house we’ve had to update. But it’s been worth it. Nothing makes me happier than new toilets in an old home. 🙂
The weekend we moved in was Memorial Weekend. My husband recently retired from the military and Memorial Weekend is very special to us. The first thing we put up at the house was our American flag. Then I wanted to cook our first meal. Since we had only been in the house 2 days I needed something very easy (but delicious).
Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Enter the Sausage Egg and Cheese breakfast casserole. The hardest part of cooking this casserole is browning the sausage. It’s seriously SO easy.
We added avocado and Valentina’s sauce. But you can add any topping you want from sour cream, green onion, more shredded cheese, greek yogurt, salsa, olives or diced tomatoes.
You can even put some in the freezer to save for later (it does make a large batch). And it’s perfect for a brunch with family.
If you decide to make it ahead of time you can put the dish in the refrigerator overnight. You will need to pull it out 30 minutes prior to baking the next day to get it to room temperature before putting it in the oven.
If you do not have day old bread you can dice sliced bread and put it on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes on 200 to dry the bread out.
This is so good. ENJOY. I know you will.
You may also like……
- 1 lb pork sausage, browned and drained
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups cubed day old white bread
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- 1½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard and salt. Stir in the sausage, bread cubes and cheese. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Immediately bake per instructions in step 2 or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- If refrigerated, remove 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.