I came across these Sausage Broccoli Muffins this weekend thanks to Erin Myers @ MyMommyWorld.com. It is included in her e-book “Healthy Lunchbox Ideas for Kids” (which is Full of great ideas by the way!).
For another healthy muffin check out these Apple Muffins – YUM! My son gobbles them up.
I of course made these sausage broccoli muffins for my almost 4-year-old but they are SO GOOD that my father-in-law and I have been munching on them every morning.
Point being…… they are not just for kiddos!
Sausage Broccoli Muffins
Erin’s recipe calls for Italian sausage but I used turkey breakfast sausage (mainly because that’s what I had in my refrigerator) and it was fantastic. I will try with Italian sausage next time and I’m sure they will taste amazing.
I’m also going to experiment with different types of veggies. My son is a little offended by anything green (except avocado!) so I think I need to swap the broccoli with yellow squash or butternut squash so it blends in with the eggs more. I’m all about tricking him into eating veggies. 🙂
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (or any breakfast sausage)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup broccoli florets (finely chopped)
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large pan, fry up the sausage until it's no longer pink. Remove from heat and add broccoli florets.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil, baking powder and salt and pepper.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with oil (be generous - I was not and these really stuck to my pan).
- Spoon the sausage mixture evenly into each tin. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top (the egg pretty much filled each cup to the top).
- Top each muffin with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Until each muffin starts to turn a golden brown.
- Let them cool a bit in the tin before trying to remove.
- Refrigerate overnight and enjoy throughout the week for breakfast or in your kiddos lunch.