I saw this low carb recipe for Stuffed Jalapeno Nachos from Skinnytaste last week and thought they would be perfect for Superbowl Sunday. Man they are good. But they are also a lot of work. At least for me….. I was juggling making these with also making Chicken Nugget Cheese Pizzas with my 4-year-old son (recipe coming soon).
But despite the work they turned out great and my husband really like them. And so did I.
Stuffed Jalapeno Nachos
The first thing you do is halve the jalapenos and remove seeds and membranes. You may want to wear gloves during this step. If you do not make sure to thoroughly wash your hands when done and before touching anything else.
The next step is to make the meat mixture. You first saute the onion with garlic and minced cilantro. Then add the ground turkey with all of the spices. Once the turkey is thoroughly cooked you add the water and tomato paste and cook for a few minutes.
Set aside the meat and start working on the cheese filling. It’s simply shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese and chopped green onions. Skinnytaste suggests using 1/3 less fat cream cheese (which I did use). However, I couldn’t resist adding some Philadelphia Spicy Jalapeno Cream Cheese Spread. It added just a little extra kick!
Stuff the cream mixture into the jalapeno halves and bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes (I actually baked mine for an additional few minutes since they were pretty thick jalapenos).
Top with meat mixture and a little cheddar cheese. Bake for 3 minutes more.
Enjoy these Stuffed Jalapeno Nachos topped with green onions, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), black olives, salsa or hot sauce.
OTHER APPETIZERS YOU MAY LIKE:
- olive oil spray
- ½ lb lean ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 8 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded and membranes removed
- 3 oz ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- 1 large scallions, green part only, sliced
- ½ oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and spray with oil. Add onion, cilantro and garlic and saute about 2 minutes, until soft. Add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder, cumin and cook meat for 4 to 5 minutes until meat is completely cooked through breaking it up with a spoon. Add the tomato paste and water, mix well and simmer on medium for about 2 to 3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar and scallions in a medium bowl. Using a small spoon or a spatula, spoon about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese filling into the peppers.
- Arrange in a single layer, cut-side up close together. Bake until soft, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Top with meat and cheese and bake until melted, about 3 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and top with your choice of toppings. Serve immediately.